Header Ads

SPECIAL INTERVIEW SESSION WITH 'DRUMMER OF PEACE' WHO STARTED DRUMMING AT THE AGE OF 3 MONTHS

Interview with drummer of peace  www.xpinomedia.com
Visiting the ancient town of Ede, Osun State you will see great improvement as the town now host 2 Universities and 1 Federal Polytechnic. We have to visit the community for 2 days  recently because the Drummer of Peace chooses to host this interview in Ede instead at his Lagos office. After a breakfast of Akara and Ogi, we sat down to talk about his life and music.
 
Good Morning... Please can you briefly introduce yourself to Nigerians?

I am Prince Adewale Laoye, popularly known as The Drummer of Peace. I am a Traditional Drummer, Yoruba Folk Music Revivalist, Lyricist, and Master of the African Drums. I was born into it, and it, has been air to me. I am a Prince from Ede, Osun, State, Nigeria, which is one of the ancient towns in Yorubaland.  
My father's mother came from a popular drum family in Ede. 
I love music very much, and I am a member of the largest drum circle in the world since year 2011, Through this organization, we Propagate Peace through our drums,  always especially to mark the world Peace day annually in September. 
I am also the CEO and founder of Royal Home of African Talking Drum called (Rhatdrum).
I have represented my country in international competition (ACCU) which UNESCO, organized, I was presented to represent my nation, Nigeria.  Through Mr. Kabir Garba, (Art Editor, The Guardian Newspaper) in year 2008, i was featured in a documentary on the Yoruba Drums; the Bata Drum, and Dundun Drum.  I am very passionate about my roots, that's why am trying to revive our traditional music, dance, attires, and our culture in general.

Interview with drummer of peace  www.xpinomedia.com

Amazingly, I was presented my "Royal Talking Drum' at the tender age of 3 months by my maternal uncle the late Pa Ajao Ayangbayi. With the interest of my parent, singing and drumming became part of me. I can say music is hereditary because my late father, was a great drummer, singer, and a wonderful organist too.  I have loved drumming, and singing, from childhood as I was always thrilled with the fact that I could actually talk with my drum and also watching the Royal Drummers any time I visited the palace with my father always triggered something in. Drumming actually exposed me to elderly gatherings and gained a lot cultural instructions from the elders. I learnt to be humble, courageous, and wise including improving my value for the Yoruba culture.  I was always inspired by talking drummers as they would greet me with their drums, and till today I am still inspired.

You are set to release a single soon according to online rumors, how true is it?
Yes am set to release a very educative, and informative single album very soon which I titled "Kilo wo?" What do you wear? This music is very percussive, melodious, and to crown it, it is a very danceable music. I worked on this single for close to 2 years because I want to release a song that will be good to the ears and still add value to the society. I am using this single track to kick against indecent dressing in our society. Our society is littered by all manners of cultural abominations and this music will address them. The single will be available online very soon because we want to release for both Nigeria and foreign audience at the same time.

Interview with drummer of peace  www.xpinomedia.com


How did you come to naming the single "Kilo Wo?
The tittle "Kilo Wo?" what do you wear? Used to come to my mind anytime I come across those who put on indecent attire and I thought of addressing that issue through music. It took some weeks before I concluded to pick one out of two titles that I had in mind, I had "Aso n mowo" (I clad cloth) and 'Kilo wo?" What do you wear? In fact, It was "Aso n mowo", (I clad cloth), that came to my mind during composition of this track.
 After meditation upon meditation I sought the opinions of my friends and family I asked them to pick one out of the two titles and surprisingly most of them choose "kilo Wo?" What do you wear?
  

What do you as the Drummer of Peace wish to achieve with the release of Kilo Wo?
I want my fans, the youth, and the whole world to know that you don't need to be nude before you can be a celebrity or a great and famous artist. Celebrities are supposed to be good examples for the society to emulate.  Our youth should dress the way they want people to address them, with respect. Our ladies must try to respect themselves by dressing decently. I want my fans to know that I am not an old folk song traditionalist but a young man reviving wisdom for this generation to know who they are.
Yes, I am a traditionalist, but not an old one. I am walking with cultural wisdom needed for today and the future.
Kilo Wo? Is saying we need to still hold honour and respect for our way of live and cultural heritage. We are not supposed to be following Western attires or sex sells facades or fashion trends but our own which has outlived and still outlives anything Western.
African originality is what Kilo Wo? Expresses and that is why the song is arranged around a traditional theme with a little fusion of western styles. What do you wear? We wear who we are, and that is why, we are great and beautiful people.
We are really what the outside world should be coping.


We noticed that your attire is uniquely done?  Is it a reflection of your royal heritage?
The concept of my attire is unique because is local attire of Yoruba people of Nigeria, What is unique there is that I use it to send message and to educate. It’s our local attire yet very beautiful with meaning. This is Batick attire design. The pattern on my chest is gotten from the shape of a Cassava leaf, which represent agriculture and farming, which formed part of our cultural heritage and which is no longer encouraged by our leaders here in Nigeria. They have forgotten that. "No farming, no food, no food, no nation, "in fact, no farming, no cotton, no textiles, no fabrics, or dyes”. Now that oil is not selling, our leaders now are asking us to go back to the farm; can you see our fathers were right? The name of my outfit is "Kilo Wo style" what do you wear?
* The Cap (fila)- made from Aso Oke  (a Yoruba fabric) is a symbol of maturity.
* The Pendant is a symbol of unity
* The Braclet on my hands Reflect my Royal Heritage..


Please, any other message to your fans and Nigerians in general.
My fans, my new single is titled "Kilo Wo? What do you wear? And this question goes to everybody in the whole world, not just for those who put on indecent dress or youths alone.
DRESSING in the context, also has to do with our society generally.
LEADERS, what do you wear? To the politicians, how do you represent our nation?
CITIZEN- what do you wear? What is our contribution toward development of our nation, Nigeria and to those in diaspora, how well are you representing the country?
FRIENDSHIP- including relationships of HUSBAND and WIFE, What do you wear? What’s on your mind when we you not with your spouse, and how do we represent ourselves in every way?  

We have to be positive and be a shining living emblem of our nation and culture, and also be a propagators of Peace, for our society to flourish.

"Kilo wo?" Is a societal question to bring equity, fairness and decency to the world.
Kilo wo?
What do you wear?

No comments